The Horn of Africa Regional Environment Centre and Network, Addis Ababa University (HoA-REC&N-AAU) is a peculiar regional organization established to bridge the gap between policy, knowledge and practice in environmental matters of the Horn of Africa region. The organization is serving as a regional multi-stakeholder platform of knowledge exchange whereby academia, policy-decision makers and practitioners convene to promote environmental conservation and natural resources management. It also facilitates collaboration as well as strengthens and advocates for sustainable development and environmental governance across the Horn of Africa.
HoA-REC&N-AAU has the broad goal of curbing the increasing trend of environmental degradation caused by mismanagement and conflicts that is aggravated by climate change, lack of coordination and collaboration to restore degraded ecosystems and to ensure sustainable use of natural resources by supporting local communities to transform their livelihoods, to cope with their changing physical environment in the Horn of Africa countries. This is done by strengthening capacity, raising environmental awareness, improving environmental governance and policy throughout the region by facilitating and stimulating practical and demand driven action research to address societal problems. A detailed overview about HoA-REC&N is available at www.hoarec.org.
HoA-REC&N is, thus, seeking to hire experienced professional for the following vacant position to support the realization of its organizational goals.
Position: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Manager is responsible to plan, organize, lead and control monitoring and evaluation activities of the Centre’s programs/projects to verify whether its goals and purposes are being met or not; proposes corrective actions and facilitates learning from the experiences, and ensures the availability of resources for monitoring and evaluation of assignments in programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures proper monitoring, evaluation and lessons learning mechanisms are put in place in the Centre
- Coordinates and collates activity or physical plan/action plan for the Centre in collaboration with the Programmes Director, Program Coordinators, Project Officers, Finance Manager and Admin- and HR Manager and reports to the Executive Director;
- Evaluates the extent to which the project is able to achieve its objectives and provide guidelines for the planning of projects;
- Organizes coordinates and leads periodic program review meetings (quarterly, biannual, annual)
- Compiles and submits all project plans and periodic reports to relevant offices and funding organizations
- Identifies implementation gaps and problems of the project; proposes remedial solutions or takes corrective actions for the problems identified;
- Designs participatory monitoring and evaluation systems with stakeholders or partners of the project;
- Conducts regular follow-up and monitoring visits and reviews to assess the progress of the various components according to the schedules set in the overall plans;
- Designs and oversees the implementation of the program/ project capacity building strategy including conducting capacity assessments and developing systems strengthening plans for the project;
- Provides M&E quality assurance and works with staff and partner organizations on data quality standards, the use of data, information systems, data analysis and other skills;
- Facilitates and forwards learning experiences from past performances;
- Ensures the implementation of the approved plan and budget accordingly;
- Leads in the design, implementation and oversight of both qualitative and quantitative evaluations;
- Prepares quarterly or semi-annual and annual performance reports for internal users and other key stakeholders; and
- Undertakes all other related duties as may be required and assigned.
- Good knowledge of M&E tools and relevant systems applications
- Good knowledge of data collection and analysis tools (statistical packages)
- Database and knowledge management skills
- Written and oral communication skills
- Good command of the English language
- Competence in MS Office
Education: MSC/MA Degree in Economics, Natural Resource Economics and Policy, Development Economics, Environmental Science, or relevant field of studies
A minimum 8 years of relevant work experience in PM&E positions in a donor funded projects
Duty station: Addis Ababa and it may require occasional travel
Duration: On contract basis with possible extension
Salary: As per the salary scale of the Centre
Number of candidates for the position: One
How to Apply
Applications can only be accepted through the following e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send your cover letter, CV and relevant credentials in pdf format and please write the position that you are applying for on the subject line.
Deadline for Application: May 03, 2022. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted