The Horn of Africa Regional Environment Centre and Network, Addis Ababa University (HoA-REC&N-AAU) is a peculiar regional organization established to bridge the gap between policy, knowledge and practice in environmental matters of the Horn of Africa region. The organization is serving as a regional multi-stakeholder platform of knowledge exchange whereby academia, policy-decision makers and practitioners convene to promote environmental conservation and natural resources management. It also facilitates collaboration as well as strengthens and advocates for sustainable development and environmental governance across the Horn of Africa.
HoA-REC&N-AAU has broad goal of curbing the increasing trend of environmental degradation caused by mismanagement and conflicts that are aggravated by climate change, lack of coordination and collaboration to restore degraded ecosystems and to ensure sustainable use of natural resources by supporting local communities to transform their livelihoods, to cope with their changing physical environment in the Horn of Africa countries. This is done by strengthening capacity, raising environmental awareness, improving environmental governance and policy throughout the region by facilitating and stimulating practical and demand driven action research to address societal problems. A detailed overview about HoA-REC&N is available at www.hoarec.org.
HoA-REC&N is, thus, seeking to hire a professional Finance Manager to support the realization of its organizational goals.
I. Position: Finance Manager
Duty station: Addis Ababa and it may require travel in the Horn of Africa region
Duration: On contract basis (with extension upon professional performance)
Salary: As per the scale of the Centre
Reports to: The Executive Director
I. Job Summary
The Finance Manager is responsible to ensure that the financial activities are implemented in accordance with the financial guidelines of donors and AAU, see to it that financial activities are carried out efficiently and reliably, undertake financial activities in accordance with guidelines and delegation of authority given to him.
II. Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, Controls, directs and coordinates the activities of Finance Division;
- Establishes and monitors the implementation and maintenance of accounting procedures of the Centre;
- Supervises that any expenditure is made in accordance with the guidelines and budgets of the Centre;
- Checks /verifies requests for payments and purchase orders, to ascertain whether sufficient project/ program funding are available and that requests are charged to correct budget lines;
- Prepares periodic review of financial reports of the Centre;
- Ensures that financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures;
- Develops and manages appropriate financial and accounting records for projects/ programs;
- Ensures that all financial reporting deadlines are met;
- Monitors and reviews completeness, accuracy, appropriateness of recording and analysis of financial transactions;
- Reconciles the Centre’s bank accounts and cash movements;
- Approves expenditures on the basis of delegated authority given to him;
- Updates the Centre’s financial system;
- Maintains and updates the chart of accounts of the Centrer;
- Provides technical support in the development and revision of policies, procedures and regulations; and
- Undertakes all other related duties as may be required and assigned.
Education: MA/MSc Degree and above in Accounting and Finance
Relevant Work Experience: At least 10 years with proven track record and experience in financial management of INGOs that are executing regional or international programmes involving multiple disciplines and partners from the public, civil society organization; private and non-governmental sectors in the Horn of Africa.
- Well acquainted with compliance requirement of grants by international organisations and UN funded projects/programmes
- Able to use financial software like SAP, Sunsystem, Peachtree Accounting, Quick Book,
- Advanced excel analytical tools like Pivotal table, V-Lookup, charts and conditional statements (IF, Sumif, sumifs etc.)
- ACCA-Professional Level
How to Apply
Applications can only be accepted through the following e-mail:
Send your cover letter, CV and relevant credentials and recommendation/support letters in pdf format and please write the position that you are applying for on the subject line.
Deadline for Application: Friday, November 19, 2021
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted