HoA-REC&N is located in a new eco-friendly building in the Gullele Botanic Garden (GBG), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The building houses all of the staff of the Centre and was built using the “cradle to cradle” philosophy. GBG is a joint undertaking between Addis Ababa University and the City Administration of Addis Ababa. The Royal Government of the Netherlands has playe a key role in its establishment by providing technical and financial support.
HoA-REC&N received on 16 March 2017 the prestigious Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)®Gold Green Building Certification from the US Green Building Council. HoA-REC&N’s HQs building became the first Ethiopia green building to have received LEED Certification award.
LEED SIGNAGE INFORMATION FOR HoA-REC BUILDING
- Preferred parking provided to low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles
- Public transportation is provided to the site
- Bike racks provided by the front for employee and visitor use (shower located in Staff Restroom for employee use)
- Maximized vegetated open space
- All landscape is native and existing landscape was protected during construction
- Providing sufficient storm water quality control
- The roof is mostly a green roof, reducing the heat island effect (minimizing impacts on microclimates and human and wildlife habitats) and adding to the flora in the building’s environment.
- All toilets provide 50% reduction in water use
- All plumbing fixtures provide 45% reduction is total water use
- The landscaping installed does not require permanent irrigation systems.
Energy & Atmosphere
- Achieving over 53% in energy savings, of this:
- achieving over 37% reduction in interior lighting power using CFLs and LEDs
- Cooling and heating is not needed based on location and therefore saving about 1500 kWh of energy usage.
- Photovoltaics will be used to provide 25,719 kWh annually.
Materials & Resources
- Recycling is encouraged throughout the project
- Over 95% of construction waste was recycled
- Over 20% of construction has come from local sources such as adobe brick and eucalyptus
- Over 5% of construction has come from rapidly renewable materials such as bamboo, eucalyptus, and straw.
Indoor Environmental Quality
- No smoking is allowed within 25 feet of the building
- All materials used in the building are low-emitting (containing low amounts of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs))
- Over 96% of regularly occupied spaces have access to views to the outside.