The Horn of Africa Regional Environment Centre and Network, Addis Ababa University (AAU-HoA-REC&N) is a peculiar regional organization established to bridge the gap between policy, knowledge and practice in environmental matters of the Horn of Africa region. The organization is serving as a regional multi-stakeholder platform of knowledge exchange whereby academia, policy-decision makers and practitioners convene to promote environmental conservation and natural resources management as well as facilitating collaboration, strengthening and advocating for sustainable development and environmental governance across the Horn of Africa.
AAU-HoA-REC&N has broad goal of curbing the increasing trend of environmental degradation caused by miss-management and conflicts that is aggravated by climate change, lack of coordination and collaboration to restore degraded ecosystems and to ensure sustainable use of natural resources by supporting local communities to transform their livelihoods, to cope with their changing physical environment in the Horn of Africa countries. This is done by strengthening capacity, raising environmental awareness, improving environmental governance and policy throughout the region by facilitating and stimulating practical and demand driven action research to address societal problems.
A detailed overview about AAU-HoA-REC&N is available at WWW.hoarec.org.
One of the flagship projects of AAU-HoA-REC&N is the Integrated Land Use and Development Master Plan (ILDP) for Gambella People’s National Regional State (GPNRS). The overall goal of developing the ILDP project is to transform the lives and land-resources of the peoples of Gambella through provision of an ILDP to be used as a guide for optimal use of its land-based resources through the provision of coordinated, aligned and harmonized ILDP. In view of this goal AAU-HoA-REC&N is now seeking competent project Officer for ILDP programm based in Addis Ababa.
Under the general supervision of the ILDP Programme coordinator , the project officer will work closely with the ILDP Programme coordinator in supporting AAU-HoAREC&N to meet the intended the medium to long term aims of the ILDP programme and the AAU-HoAREC&N Strategic Plan.
- Duties and Responsibilities
2.1 Specific Duties and responsibilities:
Officer will be expected to undertake the following activities:
- Support the formulation and implementation of ILDP program strategic plan pertaining to institutions and capabilities.
- Contribute to the design and execution of the workplan, which includes field work, research, case studies, media production, workshops, capability building and other peer learning activities.
- Conduct outreach and network-building as well as engagement with external partners. Research, Writing, and Communication.
- Contribute to and/or write reports, blog pieces and other documents disseminating AAU-HoAREC&N work and communicating on our activities and results.
- Contribute to discussions at seminars and conferences linked to the ILDP programme activities.
- Provide support to the management of projects and the administration of the ILDP programme including inputs to budget, fundraising and reporting activities.
- Develop concepts and terms of reference for specific components of the workplan, acting as client to consultants or researchers.
- Coordinate service providers, and support preparation, processing, and administration of consultants and technical services contracts/agreements.
- Liaise with and support AAU-HoAREC&N partners through electronic communication and/or traveling to project areas to provide support in the design and implementation of project activities.
- Produce regular reports covering some of the programme’s activities, compile project report and update and submit to respective section/departments and present on monthly and review meetings.
- Compile, document and organize a database and library of spatial and non-spatial data for all project areas under the AAU-HoAREC&N development program in collaboration with GIS and IT staffs.
- participate in the preparation and updating of integrated Land use Planning of intervention areas of the AAU-HoAREC&N;
- Coordinate and facilitate the publication of all Gis-based maps, reports, etc
- Prepare a number of briefs communicating the ILDP programme activities and/or relevant issues on institutional capabilities relevant to the budget process.
- Prepare a draft monitoring framework to capture outputs and outcomes of the programme activities in line with the AAU-HoAREC&N M&E .
- Additional outputs as may be identified from time to time, as needed.
- Strong project management skills, with good time management. Particularly of natural resource management and conservation activities.
- Proven experience in developing donor funded projects.
- Experience with maintaining databases of spatial information, GIS/GPS shape files is essential;
- Understanding of and/or willing to learn statistical analysis;
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills;
- Good writing skills-for documentation, training, processes;
- Good analytical/problem solving skills;
- Good IT technical skills.
- Excellent analytical, written, facilitation and oral communication skills.
- A proactive problem-solving mindset directed towards results delivery for our partners stated and unstated needs.
- Ability to integrate ideas from diverse views, create partnerships, and collaborate with others.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Required Skills and Experience
- strong written and oral communication skills
- IT skills, including the use and manipulation of complex databases and spreadsheets
- numerical skills with the ability to analyse data and statistics
- the ability to translate client requirements into working solutions
- presentation skills
- project management skills
- self-motivation and a proactive attitude to work
- attention to detail
- team working skills and the ability to work independently
- The ability to work well under pressure.
- Fluency in English and national language of the duty station.
- Ability to manage effectively tasks of various sizes, from small to complex, and simultaneous competing demands, and to deliver on time.
- Fluency in English. Working knowledge of French is an added advantage.
- Willingness to travel mostly in project areas in Gambella
4.2 Educational Qualification:
- MSc. Degree in environmental sciences, Natural resource management or related fields.
- Work Experience:
- 5 years of experience in the field of Natural Resource Management, Biodiversity conservation and related fields
- At least 3 years of relevant experience working in NGOs
- A background of land use planning, will be an added value;
- Reporting and Performance Monitoring
- The project Officer will report directly to the ILDP Programme coordinator and will prepare a complete work plan with a timeframe and outputs. Performance on the workplan will be assessed on a quarterly basis.
- Period of contract
- The duration of the contract is for an initial period of 12 months starting 01 January 2021 to 31 December 2021 with possible extension and subject to annual review and negotiations with the successful candidate.
- General Information
- All posts will be advertised on an equal opportunity basis and qualified people are encouraged to apply:
- Competitive and attractive salaries and conditions of service will be offered to the successful candidate.
- CV’s to be submitted in English
- The performance criteria that will be used to assess the performance of the GIS Officer at regular intervals and based upon which the contract may be continued or terminated are the effectiveness, efficiency and quality of delivering on the Scope of Services, Duties and Responsibilities and Deliverables of the assignment.
- This position will be funded through a grant agreement signed with the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida).