The Horn of Africa Regional Environment Centre and Network, Addis Ababa University (HoA-REC&N-AAU) is a peculiar regional organization established to bridge the gap between policy, knowledge and practice in environmental matters of the Horn of Africa region. The organization is serving as a regional multi-stakeholder platform of knowledge exchange whereby academia, policy-decision makers and practitioners convene to promote environmental conservation and natural resources management as well as facilitating collaboration, strengthening and advocating for sustainable development and environmental governance across the Horn of Africa.
HoA-REC&N-AAU has broad goal of curbing the increasing trend of environmental degradation caused by mismanagement and conflicts that is aggravated by climate change, lack of coordination and collaboration to restore degraded ecosystems and to ensure sustainable use of natural resources by supporting local communities to transform their livelihoods, to cope with their changing physical environment in the Horn of Africa countries. This is done by strengthening capacity, raising environmental awareness, improving environmental governance and policy throughout the region by facilitating and stimulating practical and demand driven action research to address societal problems. A detailed overview about HoA-REC&N is available at www.hoarec.org.
HoA-REC&N-AAU has been implementing several projects streamlined under programmatic themes in the past decade. Currently, HoA-REC&N-AAU is actively implementing regional and national programs in selected trans-boundary landscapes shared by the Horn of Africa countries.
HoA-REC&N-AAU is, thus, seeking to hire experienced experts for the following vacant positions to lead the various programmes and contribute to the realisation of its broad regional goal.
- Position : Programmes Director
Duty station : Addis Ababa and it may require occasional travel to countries in the Horn of Africa region
Duration : On contract basis with possible extension
Salary : As per the salary scale of the Centre
Number : One
Under direct supervision of the executive director, the programme’s director oversees the planning, implementation, supervision and evaluation of multifaceted programme portfolios typically consisting of a set of closely related projects funded through international grants and/or network organisations. S/He oversees fiscal, operational, administrative, and human resources management of the programmes/projects ; seeks and develops proposals for outside funding sources and maintains responsibility of the appropriate use of programmatic funds within the parameters of the contracts or grants. S/He serves as principal point of representation and liaison with external constituencies on the national and regional level on HoA-REC&N-AAU operational matters, and provides day-to-day technical and professional backstopping, guidance and leadership as appropriate to programme coordinators, project officers and experts from partner institutes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages and oversees the implementation and daily operations of HoA-REC&N-AAU Programmes and Projects ensuring compliance with HoA-REC&N-AAU, National and Regional policies and regulations
- Oversees the supervision of personnel, which includes, training, enforcement of internal procedures and controls, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance
- Designs and develops programmes or projects and identification of funding opportunities; leads and guides proposal writing to mobilize additional funding
- Participates in the development of annual operating budgets and provide fiscal direction
- Develops and implements systems and processes to establish and maintain records for the operating unit
- Oversees and/or coordinates the collection, compilation, and analysis of programme activity data; develops, writes and presents comprehensive statistical and narrative programme report
- Assists in establishing and implementing short and long term strategic goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures
- Collaborates with academia, research programmes, national/regional/international networks, projects, national and regional systems, civil society and community organisations to identify and consolidate resources and enhance programmes
- Develops or assists with the development or review and implementation of policies and procedures consistent with HoA-REC&N-AAU and the regional operational environment to ensure efficient operation of the programmes/projects
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by close supervisors
- PhD or a Master’s level degree in natural resources management, agriculture, geography, development economics, project management or related field.
- 8+ and 10+ years respectively in an advanced management role (preference given to those with programme management experience in similar national and international organizations with large scale research and development programs/projects), environmental management or related fields with recognised technical expertise;
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse national and regional community
- Ability to provide technical coordination and management and/or implementation of projects in areas of expertise
- Programme planning and implementation skills
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures
- Knowledge of contracts and grants preparation and management
- Knowledge of management principles and practices
- Ability to supervise and train employees, including organizing, prioritising, and scheduling work assignments
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
- Employee development and performance management skills
- Knowledge of budget preparation, cost estimation, monitoring and fiscal management principles and procedures
2. Position : Administration-HR Manager
Duty station : Addis Ababa and it may require frequent travel throughout Horn of Africa region
Duration : On contract basis with possible extension
Salary : As per the scale of the Centre
Number : One
The Administration-HR Manager is responsible to plan, direct, organize, coordinate and control all administrative issues pertaining to Human Resource, Property and General Services Administration, Fleet Management and Procurement Operations of the Centre. The job holder will be part of HoA-REC Management Team and will involve in ensuring that good quality administrative systems are established and maintained. S/He will be responsible for providing backstopping to the overall administrative issues as well as providing strategic guidance to programmes/project officers and or teams regarding the Centre’s administrative management. S/He will also closely work with relevant programme, project and units of the Centre.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures effective and efficient work flow in the different administrative units of the Centre and maintains entirely functional administrative network ;
- Prepares human resource, property, general services , fleet management and procurement guidelines, establishes efficiently working system/workflow and implements the same when approved;
- S/He will provide required technical, administrative and policy guidance by applying strategic planning and systematic coordination mechanisms;
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs activities related to human resource, fleet, property, general services and procurement management;
- Sees to it that the annual budget for administrative issues is prepared and submitted on time;
- Ensures and supervises that the approved budget is properly implemented;
- Approves expenditures on the basis of delegated authority given to him/her;
- Checks whether all the necessary administrative internal controls are available as per the rules and regulations;
- Analyzes administrative information to recommend or develop efficient use of resources and procedures, provides strategic recommendations and maintains solutions to problems;
- Facilitates effective administrative management and the effective application of the SAP based management systems;
- Ensures strict application of the automated SAP system;
- Facilitates results based administrative and personnel management system;
- Represents the Centre with regard to administration issues with third party;
- Facilitates the recruitment processes of full-time staffs for programmes/projects;
- Ensures that the recruitment and selection of employees is based on the Centre’s rules and procedures;
- Ensures administrative support is provided in all aspects, assists and advises the staff in the areas of office management and day-to-day administrative matters;
- Supervises administrative staff of the Centre and branch offices;
- Sees to it that properties of the Centre are properly registered and managed, and administers and controls the property of the Centre;
- Ensures all government policies, rules and regulations are maintained and properly adhered in all operations of the Centre and Network;
- Manages all contractual agreements associated with network implementing/members, development partners and programmes/projects of the centre;
- Develops procurement procedures, processes and plans in line with existing policies and contractual requirements;
- Coordinates material and resources allocation, or assures that implementing partners have appropriate procedures in place;
- Prepares and submits periodic reports; and
- Undertakes all other related duties as may be required.
- A Master’s degree and above in business administration; management or relevant discipline.
Relevant Work Experience :
- 10 years experience with proven track record of at least 5 years in administrative managerial position for organizations executing regional or international programmes involving multiple disciplines and partners from the public, civil society organization; private and non-governmental sectors in the Horn of Africa.
How to Apply
Applications are accepted through the following e-mail: email@example.com
Send your CV and other relevant credentials, testimonials, etc… in pdf format and please write the position that you are applying for on the subject line.
Deadline for Application: January 22, 2021 Only short-listed candidates will be contacted